Hi,

It may or may not be of any interest, but my mother was in the L-Dopa
trial at Columbia Presbyterian Hosp under Dr. Duvoisan in 1967.  She has
PD since 1948, and was very severely disabled, and had been for some
time.  She responded (I guess she really had PD ha ha -- a little gallows
humor), and in fact was able to turn in bed for the first time in more
than 15  years, then was able to get OUT of bed, which scared my Dad half
to death when he suddenly found her up and about!  Yes, she was able to
do a little walking, and I even have a picture of her putting up her
hair, in, what else, 1940's finger waves and pin curls with hair clips
from 1948--time had stood still for her.  Sadly, the straight L-Dopa
became too much for her--she already had cognitive problems, and the
hallucination were too much.  She went into a fast decline when they took
her off her meds, and she died in 1972 unable to speak, move or recognize
anyone.  Her sister got PD a few years later, and now I have it.

I've been waiting for a cure since 1948, or as good as a cure.  Certainly
something better then levadopa/carbidopa and the myriad of adjunctive
meds and surgeries, all of which are just "patches."

I'm tired of being told, we can cure it in 3-5 years, or 7-10 years if
only we had the money. Well, Damn it, they DO have the money, but they're
not fully funding the Parkinson's Agenda, just like they didn't spend
much on the Udall Act. I don't want my son to have to face what I'm
facing!

I WANT THEM TO SPEND WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO SPEND ON THE UDALL ACT AND
ON THE PARKINSON'S AGENDA----AND I WANT IT NOW!  If they started to spend
all they are supposed to spend today, which they couldn't--it takes time
for the NIH and others to put the funds in motion and for researchers to
get hot on PD research once they see where the money is, then by the time
research really discovers enough for a therapy, and clinical trials1,2,
and 3 take place, and then the FDA gets a whack at it, it will be more
than 10 years--much more.  I have been waiting for over HALF A CENTURY
for real progress--like at least a way to stop PD.  Because with all the
meds and surgeries, we, especially young onset PWPs will end up just like
my mother in 1972 and just like Mo Udall in 1998!

So let's tell the NIH--SHOW ME THE MONEY!!! MONEY THAT WE HELPED THE NIH
TO GET THROUGH YEARS OF ADVOCACY AND HARD WORK--AND WHILE WE'RE AT IT,
TELL YOUR SENATORS TO STOP THAT RIDICULOUS BROWNBACH BILL AND PASS THE
FEINSTEIN BILL--ALLOW THERAPEUTIC CLONING--WE DON'T HAVE TIME TO WAIT FOR
POLITICAL CLAPTRAP--WE ARE DYING!!!

Charlotte Mancuso