Hi Bob,
Welcome to the list.
You asked about how long you could continue working and how fast PD
progresses. Symptoms and the progression of the disease tend to be very
different for each PWP (People With Parkinson's). Generally the
progression seems to be slow in most young onset patients. Like  Scott, i
didn't notice many changes in my symptoms for about the first 6 years,
but now the meds do not always work as well. it becomes a matter of trial
and error to find the most effective combination and dosage and timing of
the various PD meds.

Likewise - how long you can work depends on your symptoms and also the
nature of your job. I know people who are working 10 years or more since
diagnosis; others need to stop sooner. Understanding and  support from
your employer and co-workers makes a big difference.
In the U.S. under the Americans with Disabilities Act, PWP are entitled
to request certain job accomodations that may allow them to continue to
work. There's good info. on this on the  Job Accomodations Network on the
web at:  www.jan.wvu.edu/

I'd also suggest contacting Susan Reese at the APDA Young Onset
Parkinson's Information and Referral Center 800- 223-9776. She is very
helpful and easy to talk to.

Being newly diagnosed, you probably have lots of questions about PD  -
don't hesitate to ask  -- we are here to help each other.
Best wishes,
Linda Herman