Dear Lavanya,

You asked some thought-provoking questions and for that I applaud you.  I
have been thinking about this for some time while doing some research on
these very questions.

Concerning your first question regarding the human genome project let me
share with you this:
We are now entering a phase in human development where we can offer the
promise of a great benefit to all persons in all parts of the world.  But we
do this because we're able to alter the fundamental building blocks of life.
Way back and 1982 the President's Commission for the study of ethical
problems in medicine and biomedical and behavioral research stated, "The
recently acquired capability to manipulate the genetic material all living
things is an important-even revolutionary-advance in the trajectory of human
knowledge.  But like revolutionary insights of the past that enrich
understanding, it also unsettles notions that once seemed fixed and
comfortable. "

Have having the complete genetic blueprint for us as humans will transform
our medicine.  Who knows what kinds of new drugs and new kinds of treatments
that will be developed. Who knows what kind of understanding we will begin
to have of genetic defects and the code that produces them.  I think the
greatest concern is one of genetic engineering that is to say having the
ability to alter the basic structure our humanity.  As an example I want to
share with you some genetic engineering technology that has been developed
or rather sure this is being developed for delivering the insulin gene back
into a person with diabetes.  Now take this to the extreme and you can
alter the expression of any gene.  Which offers us the hope of a cure for
all chronic illnesses including our own challenge with Parkinson's.  But it
also opens up the Pandora's box of just exactly what is a disability or
disorder is.  What is our concept of normal as opposed to desirable.  And
we haven't even reached the subject of  who would have access to one's
personal genetic information.  So you can see that there's a whole milieu
of unanswered questions.

Which brings us to your second question of how do we safeguard against these
pitfalls.  And my only answer that I can think of with respect to your
question is, bioethics.  And even though the term may seem a rather new one
consider the Oath of Hippocrates, isn't that a form of bioethics? So what
I'm
saying is that bioethics takes an account patients' rights, things like
autonomy non malfeasance and Justice.  The medical professionals from what
I've read rely on four basic principles to guide them in bioethics.  And
they are beneficence which is the duty to do good for the patient.  Then
there's nonmaleficence, in other words to do no harm.  There's also the
patient's right for self-determination otherwise known as autonomy.  And
Justice, treating others with reasonable fairness and equity with the and
not discriminating against some.  Suffice it to say there are many groups
involved in setting policy in making decisions with regard to bioethics
and if I can find them I will forward to you someone web-sites off list.

Lavanya, you've got me off to some heavy thinking this morning and I think
of going to have to call in sick to work! I'd like to continue with our
conversation because this also affects the whole thorny stem cell issue.
Bioethical questions or the rule the day and seem to be driving many
legislative agendas.  Thanks again for your questions I'm going to rest my
brain now.

Sincerely.

Terry Bowers