Thursday June 6, 8:00 am Eastern TimePress Release

SOURCE: Chromos Molecular Systems Inc.

Chromos reports progress in gene delivery to adult derived stem cells

BURNABY, BC, June 6 /CNW/ - Chromos Molecular Systems Inc. ("CHROMOS"; TSE:
CHR), today announced progress achieved in its cell-mediated gene therapy
program with the delivery of its proprietary chromosomes (ACE System) into
adult derived stem cells. Important data will be presented today at the
annual meeting of the American Society for Gene Therapy (ASGT) in Boston,
Massachusetts, suggesting that stem cells containing the ACE System can be
stimulated to differentiate into specialized cell types and continue to
express a selected protein."The data to be presented supports the potential
utility of our ACE System as a gene delivery vehicle for cell-mediated gene
therapy," said Alistair Duncan, president and CEO of Chromos. "Adult derived
stem cells are a new prospective target for gene therapy because of their
ability to differentiate into specific cell types. Ultimately, if our ACE
System is inserted into a stem cell, not only may the stem cells replace
cells that are damaged, they may be cultivated to carry the genes required to
correct the underlying genetic disease."Preliminary data suggests that in
addition to demonstrating the successful delivery of an ACE chromosome
expressing a protein to stem cells, these stem cells can be directed to
differentiate into specific cell types and still continue to express the
protein. Furthermore, once the ACE chromosome was successfully delivered to
these stem cells, analysis indicated that the ACE chromosome remained
independent of other chromosomes and did not integrate into other genetic
components of the stem cell.Mesenchymal stem cells offer attractive
therapeutic potential because of their ability to differentiate into a
variety of specialized cell types, including bone, cartilage, muscle and fat.
Previously, scientists have reported the transfer of genes into human
mesenchymal stem cells using other gene delivery vehicles, specifically,
plasmids, retroviruses and adenoviruses. However, these delivery vehicles are
limited by their small DNA carrying capacity and low and variable levels of
gene expression. Chromos is addressing these limitations by developing
mammalian artificial chromosomes that will be stably maintained in a cell,
behaving just like natural chromosomes. Chromos believes it is the first to
report the successful introduction of a mammalian artificial chromosome into
a human mesenchymal stem cell.Over the past six months Chromos has made
significant progress within its gene therapy program. In March of this year,
the Company presented significant data at the Keystone Symposium
demonstrating that its proprietary chromosomes could be successfully
transferred into human, adult-derived stem cells. In April, the Company
announced the formation of a research collaboration with MorphoGen
Pharmaceuticals of San Diego, CA, to employ Chromos' chromosome technology to
adult-derived stem cells for commercial applications in cell- mediated gene
therapy. Today's announcement adds further scientific support to the
commercial potential of the Company's chromosome-based technology in
combination with the versatility of adult derived stem cells for the
treatment of disease.About ChromosChromos Molecular Systems Inc. is a public,
Canadian biotechnology company leading the development of innovative
therapies using a proprietary gene delivery and expression system for the
production of therapeutic proteins and cell-mediated gene therapies.Chromos
is achieving this objective with a unique mammalian chromosome technology
platform from which multiple product candidates can be developed. Chromos'
technology, referred to as The ACE System, is a unique and powerful vehicle
for carrying genes into cells. It offers competitive advantages over current
systems in that it permits the rapid and efficient insertion of selected
genes, allows for the long term and stable expression of large, single or
multiple proteins, and provides a means to selectively and predictably
control protein expression.
Note: Certain of the statements contained in this press release
areforward-looking statements which involve known and unknown
risks,uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual
results,performance or achievements of the Company, or industry results, to
bematerially different from any future results, performance or
achievementsexpressed or implied by such forward-looking statements.For
further information

<A HREF="http://rd.yahoo.com/finance/news/article/email/*http://mtf.news.yahoo.com/mailto?url=http://biz.yahoo.com/cnw/020606/chromos_progress_rprt_1.html&title=Chromos%20reports%20progress%20in%20gene%20delivery%20to%20adult%20derived%20stem%20cells&prop=finance&locale=us">Email this story</A> - <A HREF="http://rd.yahoo.com/finance/news/article/most/emailed/*http://news.yahoo.com/h/mt/us/finance/?u">Most-emailed articles</A> - <A HREF="http://rd.yahoo.com/finance/news/article/most/viewed/*http://news.yahoo.com/h/cl/us/finance/?u">Most-viewed articles</A>

More Quotes and News:   Chromos Molecular Systems Inc (Toronto:<A HREF="http://rd.yahoo.com/finance/news/article/more/quote/*http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=chr.to&d=t">CHR.TO</A> - <A HREF="http://rd.yahoo.com/finance/news/article/more/news/*http://biz.yahoo.com/n/ca/c/chr.html">News</A>)
Related News Categories: <A HREF="http://rd.yahoo.com/finance/news/article/cat/*http://biz.yahoo.com/n/y/y0005.html">biotech</A>, <A HREF="http://rd.yahoo.com/finance/news/article/cat/*http://biz.yahoo.com/n/y/y0022.html">medical/pharmaceutical</A>