Cathy said:
"I thought I was
 doing well just pushing a cart.  I sometimes use a cane
in my home but it is a
 pain.  Aren't you afraid that you might get caught up in
the walking stick when
 you fall?   Do you ever have any warning before you fall?
I don't and I
 usually fall backwards just like you said.   I hope you
are taking calcium to
 strengthen those bones?              Cathy RN"

My doc suggested that I start using a cane and I have
found it to be very beneficial.  First, it helps me get
out and about.  Maybe you experience those off times that
can't be planned for, like I do.  I have found it very
helpful to have something to lean on when they happen.
Also I find a cane helpful in walking up hills.

My doc also told me about a "sport seat" cane, that she
uses when standing in long lines at airports or music
events.  I have also found this type of cane with a fold
out seat useful, when off times hit and I need to sit
down.

But usually I prefer just carrying a wooden cane.  My wife
found me a sturdy one with a nice design.  Actually we
think that it has a rather classy look that adds to my
appearance!  It may not be quite as dapper as an old
"Snake handler's cane" or the Remington Rifle Cane (which
the 1878 Remington catalogue said: "JUST THE THING FOR
TAXIDERMISTS ...Protection against Dogs and Highwaymen.")
But I like to walk along a natural area in my neighborhood
and have found a raised cane to be a useful defense
against mean stray dogs on a couple of occasions.

Also a classy cane helps compensate for the Parkinson's
mask that we sometimes wear.  And I have found it to be a
facilitator, sparing explanations, with clerks and lines
of people, at those times I fumble with my wallet in
stores.  And if you are a younger person with Parkinson's
and get into that Parkinson's shuffle downtown, it helps
the public and the police understand that no you are not
"under the influence" but have a disability.

A cane is useful for exercise.  A martial arts instructor
named Mark Shuey teaches an exercise/self defense program
that he calls "Cane Masters."  The Japanese and Indian
Police have long used canes for their physical
conditioning and in crowd control.  The cane is a
traditional self defense weapon in some T'ai Chi forms.  I
have adapted a short staff form that I learned in Aikido
(before Parkinson's) to be an exercise form with my cane.

Be dapper, add the cane to your walk with Parkinson's!

Charley Countryman
51, diagnosed 1993