Hello All,
This is a long mail but have put in something that might be useful Please
read it.

The problem with the Human genome project.

The problem with allowing cloning and the Genomics project to go further is
this according to me.

We cant view genomics in isolation. We have to understand its birth. The
genetic project takes root from "Eugenics" which was popular during early
20th century. Eugenics referred to the manipulation of genes. This project
bombed because it was used wrongly for destruction by Nazis etc.

Eugenics since then has a negetive connotation. All our fears about "what
genetics will it be used for" and " we dont know what harm can come about"
directly stems from this awareness of something called Eugenics.
Although  todays genetics is VERY different from Eugenics, yet the
association and the deliberate attempt to separate the two remains in most
discussions.

It is perhaps because of this that most people accept "curing patients" as
opposed to "preventing disease in future generations." It seems like the
safest way of preventing Eugenics from re-entering our world.

Now what is the problem that genetics faces in society?

Frankly curing diseases genetically means 2 important things.
1) We have to start defining our body not only socially or biologically or
psychologically but also genetically. There was a time thanks to people like
Freud, that we realized that, whatever is wrong in us can be treated thru
the mind, thru psychiatry.
Now we have to tell ourselves that whatever is wrong can be treated
genetically for ever.

2) Linked to the first point, is the second which is a sort of realization
and acceptance that if things can be cured genetically, then our involvement
in it will be very low.
To make it clearer just think, how many of us have tried to loose weight or
tried to combat depression or tried to even treat a boil? It requires a lot
of work from the patient himself/herself.
Now by treating things genetically, the patients' involvement ends as far as
being the unhealthy body. He/She wont have to "work towards"  getting better
any more.

Which is what some scholars and people fear or need to fear more than
fearing "playing God" or "doing something unnatural". The fact that genetics
may and possibly can instill an attitude where we move towards a situation
where we dont accept pain in any form.
If illnesses from PD to headaches are slowly moving towards genetic cures,
the point is that man is moving towards less and less physical suffering.

(Which of course is great. What could be better than defeating exactly that
which limits us? And yes to remain practical, genetics isnt that close to a
cure for everything yet so this is still hypothetical.)

But here is the main cause of worry. Sociologists and other people would be
able to argue that this is a very big gamble. What we question here is not
one illness nor one great technology that has immense potential. What we
question here instead is what role is played in society by "the sick" and by
"diseases" itself.
To cure just about everything may be great individually, but what
repurcusions will it have on the society?

For those of you who are getting angry at this reasoning....here is an
example. As horrid as it may sound, WAR does play a positive role in every
society. It immediately unites people within the country, brings solidarity,
petty conflicts are forgotten and suddenly people have a purpose in life.
Most data will show that in war times, suicide rates fall low, precisely
because people feel connected and purposive.

Everything in society has a function and so does disease. Yes when we stop
to ask what function it exactly fulfills then answers are crude and stupid
even. But that doesnt change the fact that removing diseases or chronic
illnesses completely from the face of this earth, is a serious step.

I understand fully that people like us will always support it because we
have personally suffered. But my fears aren't genetic manipulation of the
coming generations, my questions regard what becomes of a society where
possibilities of suffering are reduced.

Take care
Lavanya