The CAMR (Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research ) has
up-to-date information on the cloning bills in Congress. SEE:
www.camradvocacy.org

There is an especially good article posted today from the Los Angeles
Times:
June 17, 2002
Cloning Receives a Makeover
Politics: Nuances of language helped reframe the debate and derail an
all-out ban in Congress
By AARON ZITNER
According to the article, Brownback's bill has been stopped by the
collaborative efforts of grassroots advocates, researchers, disease and
professional organizations to educate the public, the media and the
politicians about the scientific facts.

It states that among those who changed his veiwpoints was Sen. Majority
Leader Daschle:

"Daschle last year had said he was "uncomfortable with even cloning for
research purposes," but this year he engineered parliamentary maneuvers
that have forced Brownback to retreat from a total cloning ban.
Explaining his change of heart, Daschle said last week: "What I didn't
fully appreciate initially was the tremendous opportunities
scientifically there are with the pursuit of therapeutic cloning....And
many of us have come to the conclusion we should not only provide that
opportunity, we should be encouraging it with additional research
dollars."

What happens next is uncertain, according to the Times article -- Stay
tuned!

"... Daschle, who controls the Senate calendar, offered Brownback time
last week for a debate and vote on cloning, but under terms that
Brownback said would make it hard to get the 60 votes needed to win.
Brownback is now considering his options, including whether to propose a
two-year moratorium on cloning, rather than a total ban, in an effort to
win more votes.
It is unclear whether the Senate will vote on a separate measure,
sponsored by Hatch, Feinstein and others, that would bar cloning as a way
to produce children but preserve it as a legal technique of medical
research."

see Full text of article at:
   http://www.camradvocacy.org/fastaction/news.asp?id=319

Linda