   Diana and all.     Your balance problem sounds very similiar to mine.  I usually only fall at the most inconvenient times.  The "greeter" at Walmart requested that I use a scooter when shopping in the store.   I thought I was doing well just pushing a cart.  I sometimes use a cane in my home but it is a pain.  Aren't you afraid that you might get caught up in the walking stick when you fall?   Do you ever have any warning before you fall?   I don't and I usually fall backwards just like you said.   I hope you are taking calcium to strengthen those bones?              Cathy RN