As I have watched the debate unfold on this thread of stem cells I cannot
help but think back just a few short years ago....

Remember the uproar that was created in the '60s when heart transplant
surgery was first introduced? The moral outcrying was overwhelming.  And
then I think of that lovely child, Louise, who was conceived in Petrie dish
and was born to the world on July 26, 1978.  And I remember the outcry then.
These are both good examples of how biomedical advances create more
questions than they answer.

In identifying the salient point of all these posts of whether or not the
blastocyst in question is a human life, I can only conclude that the answer
is no.  I am comfortable in that position by taking into account the
millions and millions of similar blastocysts that are passed every month in
the natural cycle of a woman's life.

I also believe that there are no equivalent choices to Somatic Cell Nuclear
Transfer Technology.  This is the only technology that I know of the uses my
own genetic code and thus is recognized by my body as being a part of me
without rejection.

And so having said that, here is my take on this thorny issue of stem cells,
and more specifically Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer stem cells.  I look upon
this as God's gift to all of us with chronic diseases.  Kind of like the
story in John Chapter 9 " ... you will see God work a miracle for him." I
come to this conclusion after reading a large amount of the body of work
concerning this issue.

And finally, I can make this important bioethical conclusion knowing that
God is kind to us in a way in which we do not deserve. What I'm saying is
that I do not want to become bogged down in some type of bombastic
legalistic form of religiousity.

Terry Bowers