In a message dated 6/18/2002 4:11:25 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< My physical therapist doesn't recommend tai chi.  She says that it can harm

hip and shoulder joints.  She recommends "Sit and Be Fit" that airs on PBS,

Kathy Smith videos,  and Prevention videos. >>

Hi,

While tai chi videos are available and I'm sure some of them are good, I see
them as an adjunct, not a substitute, for personal instruction. My excellent
teacher talks us through every move and makes sure that nobody is doing
anything that could harm them. In my class are PWP, people with old injuries
of various sorts as well as back problems,  someone with fibromyalgia...most
of us are over 50, so that's how it goes! Done correctly and with
modifications as necessary to accommodate individual quirks and glitches, tai
chi is easy on the joints, not at all stressful. and great for strength,
muscle relaxation, and balance.

Kathleen