Note to Don Adams

Thank you for your interesting observations on Requip and Sinemet, some of
which are  included below.

Recently I downloaded a way-too-long Medscape article on levadopa studies,
the end-result of a Jan. conf. in Austria. Researchers met to try to pull
together all the info to date and subsequently issued a 46-page report
(landscape format), which I haven't gotten into yet. I did save the
consensus, and I'm forwarding it below. At least two pharmaceutical companies
helped fund the meeting, and many of the researchers might have had grants
and attendant biases. But a broad review of articles published, and listed in
the bibliography, suggested some objectivity at work, despite the fairly
surprising "pro" position.

Levodopa: Why the Controversy?
The Consensus

The Consensus Statement
Following the presentations of the evidence and ensuing discussions, the
conclusions reached by the panel with respect to in vitro studies, in vivo
studies, and clinical management of PD can be summarized as follows:

In Vitro Studies
Levodopa has the capacity to be both toxic and protective to dopaminergic
neurons in vitro depending on the experimental conditions;

It is unlikely that these studies have direct relevance to PD.

In Vivo Studies
Levodopa does not promote dopaminergic cell death in normal animals;

Levodopa is not toxic to dopamine neurons in dopamine-lesioned animals in the
large majority of studies;

Levodopa is not toxic to dopamine neurons when administered in combination
with oxidative stress;

Motor complications are induced by pulsatile stimulation of dopamine
receptors, which is related to both the severity of neuronal degeneration and
the half-life of the dopaminergic agent employed;

Levodopa-induced motor complications appear to be primarily related to the
method of administration of levodopa rather than to the molecule itself;

Administering levodopa in a more continuous, longer-acting formulation may
reduce the risk of inducing motor complications.

Clinical Studies
Levodopa is the most effective antiparkinsonian drug;

All PD patients eventually require levodopa;

Levodopa continues to provide antiparkinsonian benefit over the course of the
disease;

There is no evidence that levodopa causes or accelerates neuronal cell death
in PD;

Increasing evidence suggests that the development of levodopa motor
complications is related to the manner in which levodopa is administered, and
delivering levodopa in a more continuous manner may prevent or ameliorate
motor complications;

The decision of when and how to prescribe levodopa should be based only on
considerations of efficacy, the potential of the drug to induce side effects,
and the individual patient's response to therapy.

From:    Don Adams
Subject: PD Symptoms or Med Side Effects?
For Dolores Buente:

   .....it is difficult or impossible to determine true benefits of taking
the agonists. They undoubtedly help certain symptoms in one individual and
provide no relief
in another case. I do believe this right now.........The true PD symptoms I
have are alleviated periodically by carbidopa/levadopa and I would never
suffer side effects like I did in order to PERHAPS (remember there is
controversy over this also...Drs are not Gods) stave off the inevitable
long term debilitating effects of Parkinson's Disease. PD is a "designer
disease" and some will have it progress faster or slower no matter what you
do.... so..... does Sinemet actually hasten the "end game" of PD?  Probably
it does because the studies have been in progress so long and show it