George, you said: "Subject: Symptoms

 This is a query to any listmember who's had a similar
experience.

         At  my current stage of life with PD,  I'm taking
50/200 Generic
 Carbidopa/Levodopa Extended Release enhanced with Comtan
three times a day
 at four hour intervals."

George,

I now take a 50/200 Carb/Levo CR along with 1 mg of Requip
4 times/day at about 4 hr intervals between 5 AM and 5 PM.
This is a recent increase from 3 times/day.  I take
another 50/200 Carb/Levo alone around 9:00-9:30 PM, about
an hour before going to bed. I also take 2 x 100 mg of
Amantadine and 2 x 5 mg of Selegiline earlier (one each at
breakfast and lunch).

I am 51, took disability retirement nearly 2 years ago
after gradually reducing my work hours.  I was diagnosed
at age 42 in 1993, but had symptoms for at least two years
prior to that.  Started out with just Selegiline in 93 and
the rest was gradually added as my symptoms gradually
increased.  My primary symptoms are stiff slow movement
with some freezing. I had some tremor problems earlier.
But except for a little resting tremor, I usually don't
notice it now.  I quit driving as suggested by my doc.
because of my slow movement and a tendency to fall asleep
at the wheel. (And after an accident where fortunately
only the vehicles were damaged.)

I am extremely stiff and slow first thing in the morning,
but usually after my second carb/levo and Requip I have a
good 4-6 hours of "on time."  In the afternoons, I am
usually "off" for a couple of hours.  But usually have
another good 2-3 hours in the evening.  I get very slow
after about 9:30 pm, but usually sleep well. (I wake up
feeling sore and stiff around 2 or 3 am, but usually can
turn over and go back to sleep.)

I use a cane in an exercise program and usually carry it
with me when I am out (in case of "off times" w/stiff slow
movement and PD shuffle). I suppose that using a cane has
a disability connotation.  (But I find it better to be
bold than shy about PD.)  I have a wooden cane with a
nice design and focus on its excellence as a tool for
exercise, walking, and self defense.

I also use some supplements, including multi-vitamins,
SAM-E, NADH, and Coenzyme Q-10.

I cannot say that life w/PD for the past 9-12 years is
wonderful.  I regret that I had to "retire" early and give
up some more physical activities like running and skiing.
But my med regime works most of the time and makes
possible good times for family and for developing other
interests.

Charley Countryman
51, diagnosed 1993

P.S.  I think spiritual/religious practice is also
important and am open to discussing this with any PWP off
list ([log in to unmask]).