Hello all.

My sister-in-law just took my brother to the PD Dr. June 27 and he did not
increase his dosage of Sinemet and Parolodol. John is on minimum (sinemet)
dosage - 4 times a day 7 am, 11 am, 3 pm, 7 pm  John is 6 ft. 2 in. and
weighs 116 pounds.  He is being fed by tube in the stomach since his episode
with pneumonia - aspiration.  John is now too weak to walk, cannot talk, and
has a poor quality of life in the nursing home.  They do not give him
physical therapy.  He has relatively little interaction with anyone until
his wife comes late in the evening after work...she also goes by on the way
to work.  John was diagnosed PD about 5 years ago.  The last 3 1/2 years he
had been staying home with a sitter.  Now with this feeding tube he has been
placed in a nursing home.

I have been out to see my brother in Dallas Texas twice within 3 1/2
months.  When I left him in April he was reading the paper (maybe), alert,
could walk with my help...we walked the corridors up and down...he took the
remote control and recognized he had it upside down and would turn it around
to begin using it....then flip continuously...(probably like I do at home),
shake his head yes or no, smile, make some type of "face", seemed alert,
could catch a ball and throw it back very hard - continuously and not tire,
could squeeze my hand very hard...to the point of hurting, could latch onto
my arm and would not let go....we had some good times together...but he
could not talk, could not walk without help, and would not cooperate with
the nursing staff.

I tried to get him on physical therapy before I left - again.  He had been
on it but they said he had "reached his peak" and they had to take him off
Medicare Physical Therapy.  They agreed to put him back on if I demonstrated
how I walked him.  I took the two physical therapist (both women) and had
them watch while I got him out of bed, got him up, and walked him.  The two
physical therapist looked frightened while I got him up. The "long" and
"short" of it was that they could not do any more for him because they could
not do physical therapy  with John and he threatened them apparently.  I
asked for a male therapist and they said that was out of the question.
Consequently, John is not getting any exercise.  He is not active.  In my
opinion the two physical therapist were incompetent. But one was the head of
the "company" that contracted with the nursing home.

The question.  If John has severe PD shouldn't he be taking more medication
than what he is?  According to the PD doctor his shaking is not
noticeable...present medication seems to be doing the job for shaking.  So
he did not increase the medication.

John has had all the classic symptoms of PD.  Age 67. 1) Shuffling of feet
since 1994. 2) voice gradually reduced in volume until no voice even though
he appears to "lip" words, 3) Gradually lost his ability to walk.  4)  His
handwriting would be large until it "tailed off" to a very small scribble,
5) His shaking of the cup of drink would spill he was shaking so much (the
shaking apparently has been controlled), 6) could not swallow very good from
1998-9 until now (he would get food backed up in his mouth and would finally
swallow too much and choke. 7)  his head used to shake but now I believe he
is too weak to shake it 8) Began to swallow into his lungs so he had a
stomach tube put in.  9) He has lost weight from 170 down to 116.  He now
appears to be very weak.

It would appear John has classic PD - and severe.  And medication does not
appear to make any difference.

We are going to try to get him into a PD clinic in Dallas (I thought when I
left they were going to do that but the Clinic would not give John  the DR
requested - so his wife cancelled the appointment.

Does anyone have any thoughts that could make a difference?  Being in
Georgia I cannot get out there very frequently.  I have gotten some good
ideas from your comments....but it appears I am the incompetent one in
attempting to put all of this together.  Question in the back of my mind -
am I being a realist?

Thank you,

Larry