Hi,

I'm new to this list. I found out about the list through reading the book
When Parkinson's Strikes Early. I live in Vancouver, British Columbia,
Canada. I'm 43, single, and have no kids, no cats, and no dogs. I belong
the "Book of the Day Club" as I am a voracious reader. I'm also a member
of Mensa.

 I'm in the middle of diagnosis right now, pending the results of the CT
scan - but it is almost a given that it is Parkinson's. After the CT scan
I will be going back to the neurologist, and hopefully begin some sort of
drug therapy. I definitely have three of the four cardinal signs and
symptoms: bradykinesia, cogwheel rigidity, and a resting tremor - all
right sided for now. I also have a number of other secondary stuff
occurring, like my voice deciding to go hoarse in the middle of a speech
(which is not "fun" considering that I'm a leader in two different
Toastmasters clubs). My emotional state is that of being "stunned."

The biggest struggles I'm having these days are with the lack of manual
dexterity and with stiffness. I struggle daily to count change when going
through the checkout stand and my longhand writing is becoming miniscule.
I feel like an old granny trying to get out of my chair at work or getting
out of bed - stooped over and shuffling along until I get going.

One of my biggest worries is wondering if this will proceed as quickly as
it did for one of my uncles - he also had Young Onset Parkinson's; his
tremor was very noticeable by the time he was in his late 40s and he was
in a nursing home by the time he was in his early 60s. Of course that was
20+ years ago, and I'm sure he would have done much better with the type
of medication and surgical treatment that is now available.

I hope to learn more about coping with this disease, and to give some
support to others.

Talk to you all later...

Connie