On 30 Jun 2002 at 16:00, des hooker wrote:

> Hi, Can some one fill me in about a John Griffin
> who is described as a New York financier.
>
> I understand he is a director of the Michael J Fox
> Foundation for Parkinson's Research.
>
> He is also described as a philanthropist
> who moves in celebrity circles.

Greetings Des,

I don't "know" Mr. Griffin, but I've heard of him...

This website appears to confirm what you have just said...

Blue Ridge Foundation - New York
http://www.brfny.org/people.htm

Also...

John A. Griffin
Visiting Scholar of Finance
Founder, The McIntire Center for Financial Innovation
http://www.commerce.virginia.edu/faculty_research/staff_directory/grif
fin.html

I suppose you could send him a letter or a fax...

See his FAQ web page inviting contact...

http://www.brfny.org/faq.htm

"Feel free to contact  us with your question or concern."

Blue Ridge Foundation New York
150 Court Street
Second Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11210
718 923-1400 phone
718 923-2869 fax

> The reason I am asking is he is wanting to buy
> a historical New Zealand icon "Young Nicks Head"
>
> This is  the first land explorer Captain Cook sighted
> in 1769.
>
> It is  very hilly , a run down sheep station
> he is offering several million more than its market value.
>
> Mr  Griffin has promised that if he is allowed
> to buy the property he will hand over about 500 acres
> to the  conservation department.
>
> The question is can he be trusted.
>
> Des Hooker

I checked the National News...
New Zealand's leading news and information website...

and the story is covered there...

"Mr Egan said Mr Griffin had offered to set up and fund a trust
to recognise the historical importance of the site to all
New Zealanders, as well as the spiritual and cultural value
to Ngai Tamanuhiri."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1250350a11,FF.html

The story has two "sides"...

Support For Iwi On Nick's Head
27/06/2002 07:48 PM
IRN
http://xtramsn.co.nz/news/0,,3762-1543783,00.html

more here...
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1249214a11,FF.html

and here...
New York financier John Griffin's contract to buy
Young Nicks Head Station has been extended
by six weeks following the furore over the sale
of the Gisborne landmark.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1251680a1802,FF.html

and this Editorial in the Herald...

Editorial: Breathing space in Nick of time
29.06.2002
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?thesection=news&thesubsecti
on=&storyID=2049216

It seems the land in question was privately owned
for the past century...

Is it subject to Native Land Claims?  see archives re:

‘Descendants entitled to compensation’
CROWN actions in Turanga (Gisborne) in the 1850s and 1860s
gave a picture of ‘‘ongoing manipulation, intimidation and
misrepresentation’’
aimed at acquiring Maori land and dominance over Maori,
the Waitangi Tribunal hearings into Turanganui a Kiwa claims heard
yesterday.
http://www.gisborneherald.co.nz/archives/January2k2/news/news_30-01-
2k2.htm

Native land claims are a sticky issue here at home
in Canada too...

Hopefully a settlement can be reached to benefit all
parties...

Can Mr. Griffin be trusted?  Absolutely!  but do get it in writing
so there is no misunderstanding or misinterpretation!

But then... you are a Chartered Accountant so I didn't
have to tell you!

cheers .................. murray