I have four children, ages 9 through 20 and my husband has had PD for almost
ten years now.  They recently began writing a column in the Young PD
newsletter just for kids, which allows them to voice some of their feelings
and be in touch with others in their situation.

What has been particularly tough in our lives is that I also had cancer two
years ago, and my kids were hit with this double whammy at such a young age.
They saw what I went through for almost a year in order to get better and
what their father faces on a daily basis, and I'm sure it has affected them
greatly.

My daughter who is 17 was invited to be a part of a group discussion that
went on for six weeks at school with other kids in her school that have
parents with chronic illness and it was a real eye opener for her.  She
learned that as tough as things can sometimes be for us, we are at least a
loving, caring family that truly enjoys each other's company and that wasn't
true for many of the families she encountered.

Pamme