Dear Deborah,

I remember reading about your terrible experience with DBS, and I'm sorry
to hear that now you feel it was not worth it.  I hope in time you will
at least be able to recover from the devastating effects of the surgery.

Thanks for your response.

Charlotte

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:46:09 -0400 Deborah Setzer
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> Charlotte,
>
> You said:
>
> <<<I've heard of some people having a wonderful response to the DBS,
> a lot of those who have posted here have had a mediocre benefit. Is
> that
> so, and have any of you gotten worse, as you have on one side, or
> were
> left with any damage, like speech problems?>>>
>

> I won't go into the sordid details but here are the links to read
> about my
> outcome.  I have yet to recover from the DBS surgery and am probably
> 250%
> worse than before I had it.  We ordered my custom wheel chair with
> head
> support yesterday along with a hoyer lift and bed-side toilet.  We
> also
> filled the Rx for glasses with prism's in them so that I will
> hopefully once
> again only see one of things.
>
> Admittedly, I am the 1/100 horrible outcome which most do not
> experience but
> you have to be psychologically prepared to handle it if you do
> become that
> next 1/100.
>
> I no longer think that my 16 days with the DBS was worth what I have
> had to
> go through.  I have yet to recover and the original surgery was Dec.
> 21,
> 2001.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/special_packages/deep_inside_
deborahs_brain/