At 22:10 2002/07/14 EDT, [log in to unmask] wrote:
><<my two cents' worth:
>
><<i understand that the influx of individual messages
>might be a tad intimidating to some new list-members
>who may be brand new 'netizens' as well,
>although they can't be that 'green' to the internet
>if they are computer-savvy-enough
>to be able to subscribe
>to a mailing list
>
><<however,
>i also understand that most 'pointers' out there describing our list
>also make another point of describing the e-mail volume
>so theoretically
>the volume on the list should not be a surprise
>
><<some people prefer the individual message format to the digest format
>because they find it easier to reply to
>
><<some people use the filter options on their e-mail program
>
><<some people use their delete key liberally
>
><<to each our own
>
><<i cannot see the volume as a 'problem'
>whether there are 30 messages in one day or in one hour
>whether they are all about pd or not
>whether they are all about snake oil or not
>
><<they reflect the living breathing organism
>which is this cyber-family
>
><<we are not a corporation bound by company rulebooks and standards
>we are not a school bound by a curriculum and exams
>
><<we are part of a new frontier of democracy
>where each one of us has
>the same opportunity to be heard as everyone else
>and
>the same right to speak as everyone else
>
><<personally
>i find it awe-inspiring just as it is>>
>
>Janet,
>
>       Your remarks show that you want the list to be want you want it to be
>be rather than what it is.  The list, and the behavior of the posters to the
>list, are governed by the Charter.  The Charter is an agreement between the
>listowners, Barbara P and John C, and the University of Toronto.  As list
>members we agree to be bound by the Charter.  Apart from the written dictates
>of the Charter, the list, since last March, has been plagued by the imminent
>threat of the withdrawal of computer services from the U of T.  A critical
>point with the U of T  is the volume of postings, and the number of list
>members.
>
>       None of this is new.  I have had several postings in the past where I
>explained to the list members the need IMO to be careful about posting, at
>least until the issue of the provision of computer services by the U of T is
>resolved.  John C. had a posting (in June?) where he attempted to formulate a
>plan to decrease the number of list members.  Now Barbara P has reiterated
>these concerns and mandated rules re: postings in her 7/13/02 posting,
>labelled "Inappropriate Postings."   THE LIST OWNER HAS SPOKEN.  THESE ARE
>OUR RULES.  We can hope that the list were different, and that we could say
>or post what we want, but that simply is not reality.  I don't think that
> [...]

thank you for pointing out all of this to me katie
outstanding!

janet

janet paterson: an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit primarily perky, parky
pd: 55/41/37 cd: 55/44/43 tel: 613 256 8340 email: [log in to unmask]
smail: 375 Country Street, Almonte, Ontario, Canada, K0A 1A0
a new voice website: http://www.geocities.com/janet313/