Date sent:              Sat, 13 Jul 2002 18:44:31 -0400
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
From:                   Bob Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: a new treatment for essential tremor
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> This article showed up under a "private" label and was quite brief.
> What is the source of this info?  For studies such as this, isnt one
> of the keys whether it has been published and therefore subjected to
> the review of other professionals.  How can we tell, as laypeople, if
> an article has been published in a professional journal? -----
> Original Message ----- From: "Private"
> <[log in to unmask]> To: "Ask the Doctor"
> <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2002 5:31 PM
> Subject: a new treatment for essential tremor

I would be very hesitant to accept such anecdotes.  The only way to
tell if something has been peer-reviewed is to get a reference for
the "article" and see if it has been published in a peer-reviewed
medical journal.

Even then, one has to be careful, as some journals *appear* to be
peer-reviewed and are not.  For example, several years ago, there was
a flurry of articles on Parkinson treatment with tiny doses of
magnetic energy written by a doctor named Reuben Sandyk.  A number of
other articles on Parkinson's disease were written in that journal.
The  journal was called the "International Journal of Neurosciences"
and was published in Great Britain.  It sounded like a peer-reviewed
journal, but I was finally able to get a copy of the journal itself
(most medical libraries did not carry it) and discovered that the
Editorial Board was headed by Dr. Sandyk, and that he actually
*owned* the journal!  The "peer-review" was being conducted by the
"researcher".

Caveat emptor.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"