Hi all -

I've just returned from the fifth meeting of the Secretary's Advisory
Committee on Xenotransplantation (SACX) at the National Institutes of Health
(NIH) in Washington.
Our goal is to set Federal guidelines and policies in the field of Informed
Consent for xenotransplantation. IC is basically the process of educating
patients and their families about medical procedures they may be
contemplating AND obtaining legal permission to perform those procedures.  It
is very complex, especially in highly experimental surgeries like
xenotransplantation.

I am happy to report that the Working Group made considerable progress
towards our goal.  I am the only xeno patient on this government panel.  It
is my job to give a patient's viewpoint of this particular surgery.  For
those of you who are not familiar with this case (the implantation of neural
pig cells into my brain - September 1996) please go to URL

 <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/jimcfinn/">
http://www.geocities.com/jimcfinn/</A>

to learn more about this emerging technology and its potential treatment for
Parkinson's Disease.

Feel free to write with any questions -

Jim Finn