michael frederic <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
07/15/2002 04:23 PM
Please respond to Parkinson's Information Exchange Network

        To:     [log in to unmask]
        cc:
        Subject:        swallowing

Hi group,

My dad has been having trouble swallowing lately, and it is a source of
concern to my mom, particularly as he is losing weight.  He can still eat,
but explains that he can feel the food passing over the back of his
tongue.
He went to an ENT who could find no blockage or growth which would cause
this sensation.  I know that difficulty swallowing is a common symptom of
PD.  Could anyone suggest a means of coping with this new dilemma?  Dad
takes Mirapex, as well as Excelon and some other meds for his heart.

Thanks,
Michael (son of Wayne 72/70/68)

Dear Michael,
        For me, swallowing has moved from the realm of automatic functions
to deliberate acts I need to pay attention to.  Your dad may want to ask
his neurologist for a consult with a physical therapist about these
functions.   All the best,  Geo.