Date sent:              Tue, 16 Jul 2002 23:09:14 EDT
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
From:                   Agnes Waters <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                dopamine in ER?
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Has anyone else heard dopamine ordered for incoming emergency room
> patients in medical TV shows, such as "ER"?
>
> It seems to be a routine order, and I wondered, if it is given to
> actual patients in an ER setting, what effect does it have? And how
> does it work?
>
> Perhaps I should never watch another medical TV show (probably not a
> bad idea). Conversely, I could call Dr. Dean Edell...
>
> Thanks.
> A. Waters

Dopamine, used in the above context, is for the emergency support of
blood pressure in cases of shock (due to various causes).  It has
nothing to do with Parkinson's disease in this setting.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"