>     I read your message below.  What are some things that can be done
> "after" aspiration pneumonia and a feeding tube has been put in place in
his
> stomach.

After aspiration pneumonia has occurred, patients are usually given
respiratory treatments to help clear their lung fields and antibiotics.
Serious aspiration pneumonia requires hospitalization.

If a feeding tube has been placed in the stomach the danger of aspiration
pneumonia is not necessarily over.  If the stomach gets too full, tube
feeding can be forced back into the lungs through gastric reflux - which is
why nurses are required to check how much stomach contents washes back when
the feeding tube is open.  If the contents are greater than 100 ccs, the
tube feeding is usually discontinued until the stomach empties.

> 1)  Should he have another Bariium Swallow Test?

If a Barium Swallow test has already been done and it has been determined
that the swallowing reflex is severely diminished or absent, then doing
another swallowing evaluation will not be of much help.  I assume that
anyone who has a stomach tube (PEG) has already been assessed for swallowing
difficulties.  Please correct me if I'm wrong in this case.

> 2) Are there exercises he should have daily?

The exercises I discussed in my post as over-seen by a speech therapist.

> 3) If the Barium Swallow Test comes back negative...meaning he does not
get
> liquid into his lungs, should the family go very slow in getting him back
on
> track to eating?

If the swallowing evaluation comes back negative, then the patient should
not have difficulty eating.  If aspiration pneumonia has been diagnosed,
then I would wonder if increased neurological deterioration has occurred.  I
would talk with the neurologist about whether another eval. should be done.

> 4)  Can he be retrained to eat 3 meals a day?

Larry, I'm not sure about what you're asking.  If your curious as to whether
a person with a severely diminished swallowing reflex can once again eat
meals, then from my experience I would have to answer, no.  If, however, the
swallowing reflex is marginally impaired it is altogether possible that
exercises over-seen by a speech therapist might help to re-establish enough
swallowing ability so that meal could once again be consumed by mouth.

-----
God bless
Mary Ann