From: "Ron McKay" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 11:14 PM
Subject: I Don't Know If I Should Be Here

> About a year ago numerous family friends told me they were seeing me
shake a lot, and suggested that I tell my Doctor.  Up until then I
believe I only shook when I got nervous, or stressed, and would try hard
to cover it with more intense concentration.  The doctor told me I had
ratcheting in my joints, and with the tremors, he believed I had PD.  I
have since caught myself in the tremors, a few times, but have gone
through a relatively normal year since his diagnosis.  I have studied
the symptoms, and can remember bouts of the symptoms over the past
twenty years.  This month, I have noticed that the strength in my right
arm is going, and it often pains to lift it above my belt line.  The
pain shows up in my hand, arm, shoulder, and neck on the right side.  I
also have pain in my lower back, and can not bend over to pick anything
up, and find it harder and harder to put my shoes and socks on, or cut
my toe nails, or even use toilet paper.  I am now 61, and my head still
wants to declare it old age. The day after the doctor diagnosed the PD
my wife asked me to sign a release that would allow her and the children
to put me in a nursing home, if they found they did not want to deal
with it.  I have therefore told them I am doing fine, and do not talk to
them about it.  I have told the doctor that I do not want any
medication, or other treatment, until I feel so debilitated that I would
feel I would need them.  My question is, "Are there others that have
been diagnosed with PD, who doubt that they really have it, and are able
to go for years, without it getting in the way of them doing their daily
chores?"  I work full time as an administrator, and few people around me
know of the diagnosis.  It is my goal to slip through the next five
years to retirement, without the PD making any difference.

mailto:[log in to unmask]