michael frederic wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> My dad has been having trouble swallowing lately, and it is a source of
> concern to my mom, particularly as he is losing weight.  He can still eat,
> but explains that he can feel the food passing over the back of his tongue.
> He went to an ENT who could find no blockage or growth which would cause
> this sensation.  I know that difficulty swallowing is a common symptom of
> PD.  Could anyone suggest a means of coping with this new dilemma?  Dad
> takes Mirapex, as well as Excelon and some other meds for his heart.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael (son of Wayne 72/70/68)

Michael, it's hard to give a good answer, but here are some articles you
might find helpful:

Swallowing
http://www.parkinson.org/pdswallowing.htm

Swallowing self-assessment, need for referral to SLP
http://www.parkinson.org/sp18.htm

Tube Feeding and Nutrition Support in Parkinson's Disease
http://www.parkinson.org/tubefeeding.htm

also:
Jean's daughter, Kelly
http://www.parkinson.org/kellyshd.htm