Dear Friends,
In the past year, I've received quite a number of questions on "Ask the
Parkinson Dietitian" about fava beans, and where to obtain them. "The
International Gourmet" in California has notified me that they are
prepared to ship canned or frozen green fava beans, and when in season,
the young pods (frozen). Furthermore, they also offer several recipes
free of charge.

If you decide to order fava beans, be sure to specify the small,
immature, green beans, or, if available, the young pods. Young pods
contain the most levodopa, even more than the beans inside, although the
young beans are also a good source of levodopa. However, when the beans
mature and dry, the levodopa content is diminished. Therefore, you must
be careful to ask for the green, immature beans or pods.

To contact The International Gourmet go to:

http://www.intlgourmet.com/
Click on "Parkinson's patients click here"

or:
   International Gourmet
32945 Cesena Street
Temecula, California 92592
  (909) 303-3836
Email: "[log in to unmask]"

Please be aware that I have no personal knowledge of International
Gourmet, nor do I receive any payment from them. I pass this information
on for those who may wish to investigate for themselves.

For more information on fava beans, please see:

Fava Beans, levodopa and Parkinson's
http://www.parkinson.org/fava.htm

Fava Beans, A Natural Source of Levodopa
http://www.parkinson.org/Favabeans02-19-02.htm

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--