Tom --

Thanks very much for sending this amazing interview with Robert P
George.  It clearly demonstrates the common trick used by professors of
assuming your conclusion at the beginning of your argument.  When you do
that, everything seems to fall in place since you can conveniently and
myopically stick to your conclusion while ignoring all evidence to the
contrary.

Mr. George states "The only non-arbitrary principle is the one that says
human beings - irrespective of age, size, stage of development, or
condition of dependency - may never be exploited and destroyed in
research to benefit others."  I may agree completely with that
statement.  However, my answer to him would be "at what point does this
entity become a human being"?

It is clear that our society has chosen not to invest in embryonic life
all of the rights available to born human beings.  For example, the
government can remove a child who is being abused by its parents and
place it in a (hopefully) safer foster home.  But, we don't allow the
government at the present time to go around and decide whether the
"incubating" mother is unfit (like be a cocaine addict) and remove an
eight day old fetus and place it in a foster uterus.  I suppose that Mr.
George would advocate that the government do that since it is consistent
with his views.  Unfortunately, no matter how hard he wishes it, that's
just not the way our society works.

Similarly, if someone is pregnant and driving alone in the car, they
can't ride in the carpool lane.  Our society just says that an unborn
person is not a person for many purposes.  We don't postpone the
execution of a pregnant woman.  The embryo inside her just doesn't have
the right to be born, in our society.  Killing a pregnant woman is one
murder, not two.

So, there are many ways in which we have decided that embryonic life is
different from born human beings.  I regret that people like Mr. George
refuse to let the facts influence their conclusions.

Note also that Mr. George says that "... human beings ... may never be
exploited and destroyed in research to benefit others."  This implies
that "human beings" may be exploited and destroyed so long as no
research or benefit to others is involved, such as in-vitro
fertilization.  If there is any benefit to living people, he would
prohibit such research.  It seems that he believes that life begins in
the blastocyst and ends with birth!

Just my $.02.

Gary