This posting arises in response to Emily's statement:
        "I wish I have more use out of this theoretical
        information"

For me this statement epitomizes the current sad state of humanity.
They gorge on the fruits of abstract mathematics but have no appreciation
of the practical benefits. They do not appreciate that computers are only
made possible because we have quantum physics which in turn is only made
possible because we have abstract mathematics.

I have tried to contain myself and say nothing, since it will take up a lot
of words and of course would not be of interest to many, but I beg you, it
is absolutely vital to grasp the crucial significance of theories.
Parkinson is not being treated effectively because the theory on which the
practise of modern medicine is based has a deep rooted contradiction in it.

I will try to be as brief and as non technical as I possibly can.

1. We necessarily rely on theories.
===================================
All our actions in life, which go beyond the animal level, and
all our decisions preceding them are based on theoretical appraisals, even
if we are not manifestly aware of the fact.
The actions of a Stock broker or a suicide bomber or a Mother Teressa all
result from theories.

Thinking about theories and producing theories is not an arid academic
exercise, nor is it unrelated to practical reality.

2. Ancient Theories.
====================
For the 99.99% of their evolutionary span human explanations and behaviour
have been driven by theories based on the assumption that supernatural
forces were causing all the events.
Such theories are not based on any universal principles. They
tolerate an infinite amount of contradictions ("God is kind, and loving and
made us in his image, yet he made us sinners to start with" according to
one such theory). They do not
rely on logic. They make no verifiable predictions.

3. Scientific Theories
=======================
Greeks were the first to discard supernatural explanations. Euclid was the
first true scientist. He took just 5 axioms (self evident
principles, e.g. -through any 2 points you can draw a line) and went on to
deduce 256 theorems of geometry.

The next giant of science was Newton who identified just 3 universal
principles which made it possible to explain and predict an infinite number
of events.

Scientific theories are characterized by:

(i) economy of thought
(ii) power to predict
(iii) absence of contradictions

(you can tell immediately that the treatment of PD is not
scientific, because it is full of contradictions)

It is this kind of theoretical approach which has dramatically extended our
powers over the material world. It is only because we have an abstract
theory that we launch probes into space. It is only because we have an
abstract theory that we can build Giga Hertz computers.

4.Current Human Culture
=======================
When it comes to explaining the external world humans have now
discarded ancient type of theories. Even the most fundamental of
fundamentalists do not ascribe the appearance of comets or the occurrence
of an earthquake to supernatural forces. However, when
it comes to thinking about themselves, humans remain under the grip of the
ancient principle of duality between mind and matter. They do not think
about human behaviour in terms of a small number of universally valid
principles.

The consequence is that human affairs remain confused, primitive and
barbaric.

5. Neurobics
============
My theory Neurobics aspires to free humans from the contradictory
morass in which they exist today. It offers 6 universal principles
which allow for an infinite number of predictions. It is relevant for
understanding. explaining and predicting things of great practical
consequence in every field of human endeavour. The fact that I have
utilized it to deal with Parkinson in constructing entirely new kind of
exercises is not a reflection of the range of applicability of the theory.
However, as one of my distinguished correspondent put it, "Jan Abas, the
world is not ready for you. It will be another 200 years before they even
begin to try to understand you." So be it.

I will not ask you to go to my Site and read and reflect on Neurobics,
instead I will close this offering by expanding just a little bit on why
you must have a good brain-centred theory to deal with Parkinson.

5. Why do you need a theory to treat your Parkinson
In general human health depends on a multitude of factors:

....your genes, your work environment, the quality and quantity of water
you drink, the vegetables you eat, your sleep habit, your exercise habit,
your sex life, your pets, your posture, your bank balance.....and so on. No
doctor can prescribe a magic pill to deal with all these. Modern medicine
succeeds (and does so dramatically) in treating what may be called linear
disease. i.e. diseases whose causes are few and can be isolated. Such
diseases constitute perhaps no more than 1% of the maladies that afflict
us. Most diseases in technically developed societies of today are highly
non-linear (depend on many interacting factors) and PD is certainly in that
category. In such cases modern medicine very often does more harm than good
(especially in the long run).

Here you the individual must take charge. It's no use running to the doctor
shouting "Doctor I have a problem. Do something about it." What you must be
prepared to say instead is "Doctor I have a problem. I will do something
about it." But, here lies the crux of the problem:

        If you are going to be able to deal effectively with your problem then you
will need the kind of wisdom which can only be provided by a theory which
crystallizes the myriad of factors in a small set of unifying principles,
so you can get a handle on them. And since all our perceptions and
behaviour is controlled by the brain, the principles must relate to the
brain. QED.

Happy Christmas and Hakuna Matata
Jan Abas