Raj, I want to thank you and many other members of the list for their
helpful words.  I will share this note that was passed on to me.

                                                   THE WOODEN BOWL

 A frail old man went to live with his son, daughter-in-law, and four-year
old grandson. The old man's hands trembled, his eyesight was blurred, and
his step faltered. The family ate together at the table. But the elderly
grandfather's shaky hands and failing sight made eating difficult. Peas
rolled off his spoon onto the floor. When he grasped the glass, milk spilled
on the tablecloth. The son and
daughter-in-law became irritated with the mess. "We must do something about
Grandfather" said the son. I've had enough of his spilled milk, noisy
eating, and food on the floor.

 So the husband and wife set a small table in the corner. There, Grandfather
ate alone while the rest of the family enjoyed dinner. Since Grandfather had
broken a dish or two, his food was served in a wooden bowl. When the family
glanced in Grandfather's direction, sometime he had a tear
 in his eye as he sat alone. Still, the only words the couple had for him
were sharp admonitions whenever he dropped a fork or spilled food. The
four-year-old watched it all in silence.
One evening before supper, the father noticed his son playing with some wood
scraps on the floor. He asked the child sweetly, "What are you making?" Just
as sweetly, the boy responded, "Oh, I am making a little bowl for you and
Mama to eat your food with, when I grow up." The four-year-old smiled and
went back to work. The words so struck the parents that they were
speechless. Then
tears started to stream down their cheeks. Though no word was spoken, both
knew what must be done. That evening the husband took grandfather's hand and
gently led him back to the family table. For the remainder of his days he
ate every meal with the family. And for some reason, neither husband nor
wife seemed to care any longer when a fork was dropped, milk spilled, or the
tablecloth soiled.

Ron