Hello All,
This is a second addition to my first mail.

This is what I mean by genetics invariably creating not a disease free
society but a disabled free society. Tom Shakespeare wrote in the article
" Losing the Plot"  that for this reason the disabled view genetics with
suspicion.

"For example, research recently showed
that the availability of screening for Down's Syndrome has changed
the ways in which many people regard children with Down's
Syndrome.  So, if you see a family with a Down's Syndrome child in
the street, you now think, well why didn't they avoid that?  Why were
they irresponsible?  What went wrong?  It's their fault.  And maybe
you even think, well the Welfare State or the insurance company
shouldn't have to pay.  So, although in theory this research may not
have negative implications for disabled people, in practice the social
consequences may be less tolerance. "
--Tom Shakespeare

Does anyone share this fear of genetics?

Take care
Lavanya