and we'll try to take them into account before finalizing the call in a few
weeks' time – ready for the Fall newsletter. (By then we should be able to
include fuller information about location, cost, etc.)

W. Brock MacDonald
Margaret Procter
J. Barbara Rose

University of Toronto

CALL FOR PROPOSALS

INKSHED 20 – Thursday, May 8 to Sunday, May 11, 2003

Tentative location: Hockley Highlands Conference Centre, Orangeville, Ontario
Cost TBA, when final details have been worked out (probably about $135/day
package cost per person, before taxes)

TEACHING IN CONTEXTS: READING, WRITING, SPEAKING, LEARNING

Thinking about context is a crucial part of understanding any rhetorical
situation, but what is the exact nature of such thinking? How do we teach our
students to do it? And how does the context in which we do that teaching--the
classroom, the discipline, the institution--affect our
efforts?

For Inkshed 20, we invite proposals that address topics in this area, broadly
defined. What role does context, and thinking about context, play in your
teaching and in your students' learning of reading, writing, and speaking? Here
are a few of the kinds of context which might be important:

--contexts in which our students read, write, and speak
--contexts in which we ask our students to imagine themselves when reading,
writing, and speaking
--contexts in which we respond to our students' reading, writing, and speaking
--contexts in which people outside of the academy read, write, and speak, and
in which they respond to others' reading, writing, and speaking
--contexts that ease or enhance the processes of teaching and learning
--contexts that hinder teaching and learning or render them problematic

Inkshed has a tradition of encouraging presentations in unusual and innovative
formats as well as straightforward "stand and deliver" papers of the sort given
at most academic conferences. Proposals may be individual or collaborative;
workshops, panels, and performances are all welcome, and a special session will
be set aside for poster presentations displaying current projects in visual
form. The conference will also feature a reading table to which all attendees
are invited to contribute items they would like others to read (not necessarily
their own publications), and which will furnish the basis for a structured
discussion session.

We encourage submissions from people who have not previously attended Inkshed,
including graduate students and underemployed persons; some funding is
available to subsidize travel and conference expenses for individuals in the
latter two categories.