Hi Charlotte, Gerry, Ivan, et al;

I have waded in "still" ponds in the summer as a child
and am very familiar with the resultant "itch"...

My father immediately washed our legs with vinegar...

We smelled like french fries but the itch was soon gone...

My grandmother then applied a baking soda paste
(when my father went to do his chores...)

My mother later applied (i think) calamine lotion
(when my grandmother went home...)

Go on the WWWeb and read these...

The technical name for swimmer's itch is cercarial dermatitis.
In developing countries, swimmer's itch translates into
"rice paddy itch", "clam diggers itch", "sawah" to the rice
farmers in Malaysia, "kubure" or "kobanyo" to the Japanese
rice farmers or "hoi con" to Thai rice farmers.

In these same places, all swimmers are usually exposed
to the risk of cercarial dermatitis as well. On costal New Jersey,
it is called "Duckworms".

 Treatment options said to help include washing immediately
in salt water, acetic acid (vinegar), methyl alcohol
or dilute (1:10) household ammonia. Benadryl spray helps
to reduce itch and pain, and may kill the nematocysts.
It is a self-limited eruption that rarely persists beyond 10-14 days.
http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/swimmers_itch.html

Cercarial dermatitis
Swimmer's Itch
(SIR-care-ee-uhl DER-muh-TIGHT-iss)
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/schistosomiasis/factsht_cardme
rmatitis.htm

Benadryl spray?

Brand Name(s): Benadryl Topical, Caladryl
Generic Name Diphenhydramine Topical
Phonetic: (dye fen hye' dra meen)
http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/PrintablePages/Monograph/1,7765,208,00.ht
ml

Users are advised that decisions regarding drug therapy
are complex medical decisions requiring the independent,
informed decision of an appropriate health care professional,
and the information is provided for informational purposes only.
The entire monograph of a drug should be reviewed
for a thorough understanding of the drug's actions,
uses and side effects.

so.... Ivan... please check with your medical professional...

cheers .... murray

* * *

On 6 Aug 2002 at 15:57, charlotte A mancuso wrote:

> Hi Gerry and others:
>
> When I was in a study for Rasagiline, which is more or less Selegiline
> which is Eldepryl, I was told not to take Benedryl--but--CAUTION-- I
> BELIEVE, but don't know the whole story, that Benedryl is contraindicated
> for PWPs generally, but I think some people take it.  I think since
> Benedryl is like an epinephrine(sp?) or adrenaline type of drug--and
> Eldepryl metabolizes to an extent at least, into an amphetamine(sp?), and
> these are similar stimulants, it could be dangerous--However, I would
> think they would clear up a rash rather than cause one--but I really
> can't say.  Also, if he went swimming in a stagnant pond he might have
> "em- fa - ti - go" --no idea how to spell it--or some such thing--like
> poison ivy or oak or God knows what.
>
> Look through the archives? Can't Ivan search the numerous PD links? Is he
> without a computer or so indisposed that he can't manage.  He might try
> topical, spray Benedryl.
>
> Good luck to you and Ivan
>
> Charlotte
>
> On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:55:37 EDT Gerry Haines <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> > I tried to get on last night for Ivan but we had bad thunderstorms
> > and our
> > phone went out after I talked to him.
> > He went into a pond of water and developed a rash on his legs, his
> > question:
> >  Is there a reaction between eldepryl and Benedryl?  I honestly
> > don't
> > remember and cannot find any info. on it.
> > Would someone answer me and I can then call Ivan with the answer.
> > Gerry

* * *