Things are really heating up in central Illinois and I don't mean just
the 90+ degree heat!! Right on the heels of our very successful "Shake,
Rattle & Roll" weekend, we have several events that are coming up.
On Thursday, august 8th, we plan to present a check for $2,000 to
Richard J. Weber, Ph.D, a research scientist at the University of
Illinois College of Medicine, Peoria campus for use in his studies
dealing with the effect of activated leukocytes on dopamine producing
cells in parkinson's affected subjects.
This donation (an increase of 60% from last years' check), is part of
the $15,000 which was raised during the Shake, Rattle & Roll weekend
held in May. Another check for $2,000 was sent to PLWP and the remaining
$11,000 went to the Parkinson Alliance for research.
After the presentation, we will be holding a press conference to
announce our plans to hold a fund-raiser for U.S. Representative Lane
Evans. For those of you unfamiliar with Congressman Evans-he represents
the 17th District of Illinois and is the ranking Democratic member on
the Veteran's Committee. His work for the working people and for the
environment is well known. He also happens to have Parkinson's disease.
The fundraiser will be held on Sunday, August 25th, from 1 pm-3 pm at
Kelleher's on Water Street in Peoria. Pat Sullivan, the owner of the
upscale Irish Pub & Restaurant will provide appetizers and a great
setting for our event.
We are excited to announce our guest speakers for this day; they are:
Anne Udall-the daughter of Congressman Morris K. Udall and quite active
in Parkinson's projects and Don Schneider-the radio personality from
Clinton, Iowa who spoke so eloquently before the Senate subcommittee
with Lonnie Ali and Michael J. Fox. Also hosting and helping with the
introductions will be Mr. Michael Bryant-the CEO of Methodist Medical
Center. We have had an overwhelming response thus far, showing lots of
interest.
I would also like to share with you that I have been selected as one of
this year's 25 Women In Leadership for central Illinois. I am very proud
and feel quite humble to be in the company of such wonderful,
accomplished women.
If you are in the area or plan to visit for this fundraiser, please let
me know so that we can get together for some fun, sharing and maybe a
sip of Irish Cream!!
Thank for listening, your central Illinois on the go reporters,
Joan Blessington Snyder and Holly Angus

--
Joan E. Blessington Snyder       50/11
http://www.pwnkle.com/jes/jes_web/index.htm