On 11 Aug 2002 at 11:28, Deborah Setzer wrote:

>   If someone could put some more detailed info on this disorder
>   online or show the folks reading this where to go to find out
>   I would appreciate it.
>
>   We are still in the hotel and they charge $24 an hour for using
>   the internet.  I just felt that this was too profound not to tell
>   everyone.

Hi Deb and Robert,

Too profound indeed!!!  My eyes glaze over at the thoughts of what
you have been through!  The God's be with you...

Initial search...

NINDS Chiari Malformation Information Page
Synonym(s):  Arnold-Chiari Malformation
Reviewed  07-01-2001

What is Chiari Malformation?

Is there any treatment?

What is the prognosis?

What research is being done?

Organizations

Additional resources from MEDLINEplus

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/health_and_medical/disorders/chiari_doc.htm

* * *

The World Arnold Chiari Malformation Association
http://www.pressenter.com/~wacma/

* * *

{{This would appear relevant for discussion with your
surgeon... murray}}

Acta Neurochir (Wien)1996;
The surgical treatment of Chiari I malformation. Klekamp J, Batzdorf
U, Samii M, Bothe HW

Medical School of Hannover, Neurosurgical Clinic, Nordstadt Hospital
Hannover, Federal Republic of Germany.

A retrospective study was undertaken on 133 patients with a Chiari I
malformation treated within the last 16 years at the Departments of
Neurosurgery at the Nordstadt Hospital Hannover, Germany, and the
University of California, Los Angeles, U.S.A. Ninety-seven patients
presented with symptoms related to accompanying syringomyelia and 4
with associated syringobulbia. They underwent 149 surgical procedures
and were followed for a mean of 39 +/- 52 months. A decompression at
the foramen magnum was performed in 124 patients, while 22 of those
with syringomyelia were treated by shunting (7 syringosubarachnoid
shunts, 15 syringoperitoneal or - pleural shunts), and 3 by
ventriculoperitoneal shunts for hydrocephalus. Except for
ventriculoperitoneal shunting, at least a short-term decrease in size
of an associated syrinx was observed for all procedures in the
majority of cases. However, no long-term benefit was observed for
syrinx shunting operations. The best clinical long-term results were
obtained with decompression of the foramen magnum in patients with
(86% free of a clinical recurrence) and without syringomyelia (77%
free of a clinical recurrence). We advise against syrinx shunting, a
large craniectomy, and obex plugging which are associated with higher
recurrence rates. Instead, surgery should consist of a small
craniectomy, opening of the dura, archnoid dissection to establish
normal cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) outflow from the 4th ventricle, and
a fascia lata dural graft.

PMID: 8869706, UI: 97023346
http://www.pressenter.com/~wacma/surgical.htm

* * *