Ron and others,

Here is a list of things to remember about stimulator
programming.  For those not familiar --- my brother Steve had the
first biSTN DBS in Chicago in April of 1998 and I have been to
all his programming sessions.

1.  In Europe most patients are kept in the hospital, have their
stimulators turned on immediately after surgery and are
completely programmed within 10 to 14 days.  The idea that the
body takes several weeks to get used to the stimulation is BS.
It takes 24 to 72 hours --- and that depends on how extensive and
strenuous the programming session was.

2.  Stimulation is the SUM of the electrical stimulation AND the
medication.  Every stim setting has a different medication
requirement.  They have to be balanced.

3.  If you develop a problem or negative side effect --- time
will NEVER make it better.  In Ron's wife's case, shutting off a
stimulator eliminates the problem.  That means the programming is
wrong and needs to be fixed.  Get it fixed.  WHY WAIT?  We left
the hospital one day with a setting that seemed to be working
well.  In 24 hours we were back at the hospital because of
problems that developed.  The 288 mile round trip was time well
spent.

4.  Over stimulation can cause the same symptoms as no
stimulation at all --- ie. stiffness and rigidity.

5.  If you shut off a stimulator and things get progressively
worse rather than better you need more stimulation.

6.  If you shut off a stimulator and your problems improve you
are overstimulated.  That can be the result of:

A.  Too high settings.

B.  The wrong electrode combination

C.  Cross-talk (the stimulator sends a signal to the opposite
side of the STN from the one it is implanted in)(every program
setting may produce a different amount of crosstalk)

7.  You need to take an active part in figuring out what needs to
be changed.  Your options are very limited --- only ON or OFF for
each stimulator ---- but the results give a huge amount of
information.

8.  Take notes!!!!!  The doctor only sees you for perhaps an hour
or two.  He/she does not see what your response is at various
times of the day.

9.  Why suffer with a problem setting?  Get it fixed!!!!!!!!!!!
That is the whole point of adjustable electrical stimulation.
You have to live with it --- the doctor doesn't.

Paul