I will try to stick my 2 cents in at this point and hopefully not get overly
technical about same - references are provided, but as a parky and
biochemist I must speak up .....

 The actions of Alpha Lipoic and  N. Acetyl Carnitine have been known about
and known to aid parkies for over  20 years .... While we are on the subject
of Glutathione repelenishment, we must not ignore the action of Milk
Thistle - Silymarin - which  takes care of replenishment of GSH in the liver
and also removes a host of toxins  from Carbon tet. to  acetomenaphin and
doxycycline
34 N-acetyl cysteine86 and alpha-lipoic acid contribute to GSH repletion and
are also potent antioxidants. They like so many tinngs must be taken in the
correct ratio and together to achieve the full benefit in restoring GSH.
Lately we have had Reuters pick up on them as energy boosters as if this
were something new.

Acetyl-L-carnitine is a mitochondrial energy carrier, activating transport
into the mitochondria of fatty acids to be used for energy.

With the evidence so overwhelming that GSH depletion is a central event in
PD,32,33,37 and that the degree of GSH depletion is worse in advanced
disease effective repletion of GSH must be a therapeutic priority. Combined
intravenous and oral GSH replacement is safe and well tolerated, providing
ongoing benefit. As oral GSH precursors both N-acetylcysteine95 and
alpha-lipoic acid are appropriate. GSH is also a systemic antioxidant, and
its ongoing repletion may help ameliorate Parkinson's-related damage in the
heart, liver, muscles, and other organs.31

Systemic GSH status is also conserved by bolstering other antioxidant
defenses. Especially noteworthy is high-dose vitamin C, which provides
antioxidant reducing equivalents known to conserve GSH.

31. Kidd PM. Glutathione: systemic protectant against oxidative and free
radical damage. Altern Med Rev 1997;2(3):155-176.

32. Perry TL, Godin DV, Hansen S. Parkinson's disease: a disorder due to
nigral glutathione deficiency? Neurosci Lett 1982;33:305-310.

33. Jenner P. Oxidative mechanisms in nigral cell death in Parkinson's
disease. Mov Disord 1998;13:S24-S34.

37. Youdim MBH, Ben-Schachar D, Riederer P. Is Parkinson's disease a
progressive siderosis of substantia nigra resulting in iron and melanin
induced neurodegeneration? Acta Neurol Scand 1989;126:47-54.

More 2 cents when I get a chance to get back to the confuser if lightening
doesn't scramble things again - Hope that this helps and as always my best
to all ! Rob