Date sent:              Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:30:51 -0700
Send reply to:          Joan Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Joan Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Deborah's Update
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Robert called
> and.there's a possiblity that it's not Chiari so more tests are needed
> in order to confirm that Deborah does, indeed, have Chiari or
> determine exactly what she does have.  They are taking a "wait and
> see" attitude for a couple of days until they have these  new  test
> results.

The above adds to my concerns that something is "not right".  Chiari
malformation (as a diagnosis) is not something that needs to be
"confirmed".  It is a purely *anatomical* finding (a part of the
brain has to be present so many millimeters below a line drawn on an
MRI image of the back of the skull) and is either present or is not.
The issue in this case is whether the Chiari malformation (the
anatomical finding) is causing any functional trouble or not.  "More
tests" for the Chiari is NOT the issue.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"