I do not have Deborah's e-mail address, so my response goes to the
List.

Be VERY wary of surgeons who want to operate on you for Chiari I
malformation.  There is a small group of neurosurgeons who have made
quite a good living by performing these surgeries on people with this
condition.  Chiari I is a mild birth defect at the base of the skull,
which, in most patients, causes NO problems at all.  If problems are
caused by Chiari malformations (usually by the types II and III),
these problems are due to obstruction of spinal fluid circulation
(hydrocephalus), and the symptoms are severe and life-threatening.
Posterior fossa decompression and/or shunting is indicated for the
treatment of this type of malformation.

The above (serious) problems usually develop in childhood and rarely
cause trouble in adults.  We have found many cases of Chiari Type I
as incidental findings when patients have cervical MRI studies for
other conditions (cervical discs, etc.); and, in most cases, the
findings are *incidental*.  They do not need "correction".

A group of neurosurgeons, however, has made a big deal about
operating on these malformations for various complaints, including
the symptoms that Deborah speaks of in the e-mail which was forwarded
to me.  Such other conditions as "fibromyalgia" have also been
ascribed to Chiari Type I.  There was a program on TV a couple of
years ago which popularized the "cure" and it was so poorly-based
scientifically that the national neurosurgical societies in the USA
published a paper warning the public that surgery for this set of
problems was unproven and not risk-free.

Get a good evaluation from a neurosurgical center (such as Dr.
Patrick Kelly at NYU) before you accept this stuff about Chiari Type
I.

I would definitely get active as to the issue of the ovarian cancer.
Abdominal exploration may indeed be indicated.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"