Hi Cheryl,  My husband has PD and was put on Sinemet immediately after being
diagnosed.  In doing research and reading all I can I find that those in the
know say to hold off as long as you can before starting Sinemet.  There are
some early type meds that you can take that do not cause the problems of
Sinemet.  Sinemet is the type of med. that can cause problems as well as
help.  The sooner you start on it the more you need sooner.
    Find or write for the book, "Brain Recovery.com" by David Perlmutter,
M.D.  He is well respected in the medical field and is a certified
Neurologist.  In his book  (fairly small paper back)he lists medication for
PD that are supplement types.  My husband is taking  Co.Q10  (150 mg. )and
has shown improvement since he started on it.  Five or six studies are
currently being conducted at Medical Schools to try to determine if Co.Qu10
is helpful in PD.  It is available in drug stores (Walmart) .He is actually
better today than he was when first diagnosed.  He does take a low dose of
Sinemet and Mirapex.  He has been diagnosed for six years.  He is taking all
the recommended items as listed in the book accept the glutathione.  There is
controversy as to whether the oral is effective.  Perlmutter says no.
Permutter has a web site.
    Good luck.  Do some research before you get started on the meds.  Vera
Brandt