Date sent:              Sat, 17 Aug 2002 13:54:05 EDT
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
From:                   Rayilyn Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Deborah/ovarian cancer
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Dear List,
>
> Deborah Setzer told Kathleen and me yesterday that she found a 43 or
> 48 (can't remember which) CA-125 reading in April of  this year for
> ovarian cancer in her medical records.  1-35 is normal.
>
> I told her sometimes those CA-125's give false readings....not to
> offer false hope, but they won't really know unless they open her
> up.  You can have a normal CA-125  and still have ovarian cancer (my
> own experience), but this is DEFINITELY BAD NEWS on top of the pending
> brain surgery for Chiari.
>
> We understand that the reading is 85 -90 percent accurate and that
> means there is a 10-15 percent chance she is OK. But the thought of
> yet another surgery...and then  chemo is too much to bear.  Just the
> thought it all has floored me.
>
> Needless to say Deborah and Robert need all the support they can get
> from all of us. Rayilyn

I may have missed this thread because I have been "nomail" on
vacation.  Why is surgery being done for Chiari?  What are the
symptoms that justify the surgery.  There are some people who are
operating on Chiari malformations without good indications (many of
these previously undiagnosed and asymptomatic malformations are
picked up as "incidental findings" on scans).

As to the CA-125 issue, I think that it needs to be taken very
seriously.  Ovarian cancer has few early symptoms and, if not
diagnosed very early (Stage I or II), it is highly fatal.  I lost my
first wife to ovarian cancer.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"