Hello everybody,

My name is Herbert Svenkerud (Norwegian in spite of my English-sounding first name) and as I have just joined this list a short introduction seems to be in order. I am 75 years old - in fact as per the 28th this month - and I have had Parkinsonism since the late eighties, when my handwriting began to show signs of deteriorating. After years of various medical and neurological examinations, I received the diagnosis PD in 1994, even then prematurely as it turned out. I was put on the he usual medication (Eldepryl and Sinemet) which proved to have no effect whatsoever, and only two years ago I was taken off Sinemet and left with 10 mg Eldepryl (which I have taken upon myself to discontinue) and a diagnosis of Parkinsonism. But to this day both my present neurologist and I have been unable to decide whether I have MSA or PSP. We both lean toward MSA, however, since I still seem to have all my wits about me - thank God! - whereas PSP is reported to be rather hard on one's mental powers.

In 1994, just before I received my first diagnosis, I retired from my position as an editor of Cappelen's, the oldest publishing house in Norway, but I am happy to say they still find use for me as a reader. Besides, I have been able to continue my work as a writer/editor of dictionaries. (I delivered the last files of an English-Norwegian/Norwegian-English one as late as June this year.) Needless to say, I am immensely grateful to be able - and allowed! - to carry on more or less as usual, in spite of my handicaps.

I stumbled across the site of this list when I was looking for information about Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation TMS, and especially an e-mail address where I could reach the Hungarian neurologist Dr Judit Málly, who is reported to successfully use TMS to treat cases of Parkinsonism. Any relevant information would be greatly appreciated. All the best from me to all of you!

Sincerely yours,

Herbert :-)