Date sent:              Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:10:12 -0400
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
From:                   Bruce & Helen McCallum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Permax causes festination - a moving target
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> I too am upset by the PD circumstances: It seems that any time I ask a
> "knowledgeable person" when they think a cure for PD will be
> available, the answer is "10 years". It was 10 years in 1992, it is 10
> years in 2002. Also I don't understand why there are so many competing
> agencies that have a goal of curing PD. Why can't these be combined
> into a single agency and thus become much more powerful in
> representing us? (Actually I do know why).

No one can "predict" when a "cure" will be found for any illness.
Anyone who gives a definite timeframe is talking through their hat.
The breakthrough could be tomorrow or it could be 20 years from now.

"Agencies" do not "cure" Parkinson's disease (or any other disease).
The "cure" will come through academic research and that requires
money and other support.  Agencies can help people and families
impacted upon by PD, but it is science which will eventually discover
the "cure".

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"