There has been some discussion about Paxil and PD patients, that when the
following article appeared in the Houston Chronicle, I thought it best to
copy it and send it to you.  This appeared on Aug 23, 2002. The REAL
reason I'm copying it to you, is concerning the habit-forming part of it
that causes withdrawals, not the main topic, although that may be
important to some.

QUESTION::   No one warned me that Paxil might affect my sexual ability.
I suffered impotence for several years until I stopped taking Paxil.
Then the problem went away.

Stopping Paxil turned into a nightmare.  It took weeks of gradually
decreasing dosages to get off the drug, and even then, I had withdrawal
problems.  Fortunately, sexual inability was not one of them.

The company advertizes that Paxil is NOT habit-forming.  I'm not sure
what "habit-forming" means to them, but if it has to do with withdrawal
symptoms, then they are lying.

If I ever need another medicine for depression, how will I know which one
won't cause impotence.?

ANSWER:  Antidepressants like Prozac, Paxil and Zoloft are notorious for
affecting sexuality.  Impotence, lowered libido and inability to achieve
orgasn are possible side affects.

You are quite right that the company states that Paxil "is not
habit-forming".  But the official prescribing information warns that
"discontinuation (particularly when abrupt) may led to symptoms such as
dizziness, sensory disturbances, agitation or anxiety, nausea and
sweating"

Antidepressans that might be less likely to affect sexuality include
bupropion (Wellbutrin), trazodone (Desyrel) and nefazondone )Serzone).
THE END

As a side note, I received a letter from a lawyer, who is filing a class
action law suit against the makers of Serzone, because the med causes
shortness of breath,  fatigue and general malaise.  I've taken it, but
probably will not joini in the lawsuit.

Best wishes to all

Jo Ann