To view photos of this event-please go to:
http://y42.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/joanesnyder/lst?.dir=/EVENTS&.done=http%3a//my.yahoo.com/p/d.html

I must admit that I didn't much care for politics when I went into this
venture, and I don't proclaim to have changed my thoughts after just a
weekend foray into the political swimming hole. But, I can say for
certain that we are darn lucky to have one of the most trustworthy and
genuinely caring Congressmen to serve the state (if he cannot represent
us in particular) in our own backyard.
Lane Evans seems to be the sort of man who can inspire thoughts of
bravery, courage and an underlying air of confidence in spite of the
Parkinson's Disease that he tackles every day of his life. He is quite
but when he speaks, everyone seems to listen harder; he is slow but
everyone matches their stride to his. And when he grins-the entire world
lights up around him.
It all began several months ago when I was getting quite concerned about
the fact that Lane's re-election to the US House of Representatives
might indeed be jeopardized by the fact that he has PD. I asked what I
could do to help and Jeremiah Posedel, Lane's Political Director
suggested a fundraiser. Despite misgivings that he wasn't actually our
own representative and my general attitude to avoid like the plague
anything that remotely smacks of politics, I said sure.
We really need Lane Evans in Congress to help with his contacts, his
vast wealth of knowledge and political connections to help on a project
on which I am involved with at the University of Illinois College of
Medicine.
Our adventures began on Saturday evening when we went to the airport to
pick up the smart, savvy and very charming, Dr. Anne Udall who flew in
from North Carolina to help with our event. Anne is the daughter of the
late Congressman & the former candidate for President of the United
States-Morris K. "MO" Udall. Mo Udall served his country for almost 10
years while also battling PD. He is remembered for his natural ability
to make friends and to work both sides of the aisle, for his work on
environmental causes, and legislation for campaign reform and
congressional ethics.
Anne, is the director of the Lee Institute in Charlotte, is a published
author and an educational consultant in the areas of gifted education,
curriculum development and higher level thinking skills. She is also the
Vice-Chairman of the Board of Directors for the Morris K. Udall Foundation.
Ann is as delightful a person as she is talented and we got along
famously. Sunday morning dawned bright and beautiful and we picked her
up at her hotel to show her the sights of the Peoria area and then to
have brunch with my partner-in-crime, Holly Angus and the Democratic
State Central Committeeman Larry Johnson and his lovely wife, Phyllis.
After brunch, we went down to Kelleher's-a wonderful Irish pub and
restaurant owned by my friend Pat Sullivan. We blew up balloons and
decorated and set up for a raffle. Friends were there to help and
everyone chipped in. The band: the Billy Cook Quintet were ready to play
and the appetizers were placed on the buffet just as the first paying
customers arrived.
Four couples were the hosts for the day:
Michael & Paula Bryant-he is the CEO of Methodist Medical
Medical Center of Illinois
Pat & Lark Sullivan-the owner of the establishment
Holly & Bill Angus
Joan & Stan Snyder
When a crowd was assembled, Michael Bryant was introduced and spoke
about our project to get the resources of the city together and to build
a Neurological & Movement Disorders Center of Excellence.
Michael was followed by a talk from radio personality Don Schneider from
Clinton, Iowa-another Person With Parkinson's who had testified before
the Senate Subcommittee along with Lonnie and Muhammad Ali and Michael
J. Fox.
Lane Evans spoke next and his speech was well received. He spoke of the
medical, research and funding breakthroughs that the Parkinson's
Community has realized recently and why now is the time to keep the
pressure up to cure this disease.
When Anne Udall was introduced, she made her way up to the stage amid
many cheers. She had been meeting and talking to the Lane Evans
supporters and had made quite a few new friends. She spoke quite
sincerely and lovingly of her father and his life with Parkinson's and
his continued abilities to work for the common good. In one story, she
told of her invitation to come speak for Lane Evans and how she needed
to consult with her brother-US Representative Mark Udall before
accepting (pretty much assured of an easy way to let me down); but
Congressman Udall told her that Lane was a wonderful man and that she
should come to Peoria.
As the event wound down, we were happy to learn that we had collected
over $2,000 for Congressman Evans and had the opportunity to network
with some wonderful, interesting people.

More politics for this girl?? Never say never!!!

--
Joan E. Blessington Snyder       50/11
http://www.pwnkle.com/jes/jes_web/index.htm