Greetings!

Here at SFU we are still in the throes of getting a new undergraduate
curriculum through Senate.  That curriculum includes provision for requiring
all students to take at least 2 discipline-based writing-intensive courses
before they graduate.  The main objections to this initiative are the time
it will require for faculty to develop courses and work with students on
their writing and, related to that, the cost.
I've been asked for some ballpark figure of what it might cost to fund such
an initiative.  Does anyone's experience include the figures or list of
budget allocations with estimates or actual annual costs.  One person here
did an estimate of half a million dollars per annum which involved using
lecturers with expertise both in writing and the discipline in which the WI
course was being offered.

I'd be most grateful for any suggestions and help here with providing an
estimate.

Thanks,

Wendy