I'd like to add a word here, if I may... There was a presentation at the
last CATTW conference, in which the presenter raised questions that
EAP/ESL teachers assigned to teach courses in technical writing face.
One of CATTW senior members responded to this presentation questioning
the practice of assigning ESL/EAP teachers to technical writing classes.
I completely support this CATTW member's view, that is, hiring people
from another filed who have had no training in or exposure to
discipline-specific writing may be dangerous.

I know that people with all possible backgrounds are hired to teach
disciplinary communication courses: people from English, Philosophy, EAP
and so on. Why are we doing that? Because we can't find people who would
COMBINE disciplinary knowledge and understanding of rhetoric. I once
thought that the solution would be to ask disciplinary professors to
teach discipline-specific writing courses. Alas, few of them have a
desire to do it and even fewer have a clear understanding of rhetoric,
and therefore, tend to teach "the way it's done in such and such company
where I used to work" or "the way I do it" without raising questions
"why was it done this way" or "why do I do it this way." This kind of
teaching results in students' views of (engineering in my case) writing
as a set of templates and rules to follow. On the other hand, hiring
somebody who has no idea of the (engineering) discipline but understands
rhetoric may also result in a disaster. I think the ideal would be for
disciplinary professors to devise writing assignments in collaboration
with a rhetoric person WHO SHOULD UNDERSTAND demands of a particular
discipline either by virtue of having a degree in this discipline or
through an exposure to the discipline as a writing consultant, for
example, and then respond to students' writing as a team. I have doubts,
though, about the feasibility of such a set-up.

My colleague has developed a new version of the Engineering
communication course we teach at Carleton specifically to accommodate
instructors with a limited knowledge of the discipline. Wendy, if you
are interested, please let me know at [log in to unmask]

Natasha

--
_____________________________________
Natasha Artemeva

School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies
Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
K1S 5B6