Encore une fois, bonjour à tous,

1.  Rather than reply to Anthony privately, I thought I'd ask this question publicly, given the interest.  I'd be very keen to do a PhD at McGiil.  Could I do it all long distance Anthony?  I thought there were residency requirements.

2.  I'm astounded by the level of interest.  When I got to thinking more broadly about the need, I came to think that there may be a number of factors, abstract and concrete, that make the idea attractive:
-  Canada'a size, and our pioneering work trying to mitigate or overcome distance (telephones, communications satellites)
-  the rise of "continuous education" as a public idea; and the number of middle aged, mid-career professionals who want to get another degree without leaving work or disrupting family life
-  the amenability of rhetoric / literature itself, with its core activities of reading and writing, to long distance study; this is perhaps less true at the undergrad level, where there are arguments for the need for / benefits of face-to-face communication and a physical community - - but I can't see much need for physical presence at the PhD level
-  recent advances in communications technology making feedback, chat, etc. easy

It seems to me actually astounding that there aren't pure-distance programs at the PhD level, especially with these factors in mind, and even more especially given the rapid growth of Athabasca, Royal Roads, and other distance programs at the undergrad and Masters levels.

3.  My cursory glance at the New School suggests that while there are strengths in the social sciences, there's no rhetoric / literature program.  Anyone had any experience with rhetoric / lit at New School?

4.  Thanks for the interest Rick.  If I haven't found anything suitable sooner, I'd *love* to be in the first year of SFU's Distance PhD in Rhetoric / Language Studies / Literature (or whatever) program.  It would be great to see Simon Fraser (named for a pioneer explorer) pioneer this field.

5.  Finally, my research has shown that it's actually very easy to *buy* a (scam) PhD without going to a physical campus, I just can't actually *do* (a legitimate) one.  Food for thought.

Cheers, and thanks for the feedback so far.

Jamie

              http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/
              http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/