Thank you SO much.  I owe you (at a minimum) a McNally's Extra on the verandah of the Hotel MacDonald.  I really appreciate it.

I'm posting this publicly to let others know, not to embarrass you.

Cheers,

Jamie

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/09/02 07:51PM >>>
Jamie, Found it!  page 15 of Without Teachers--but the "wouldn't" is actually "couldn't" and
"free" (in the 2nd sentence) is italicized.  Betsy

At 02:49 PM 2002/09/06 -0400, you wrote:
>Can anyone help with what book (and year) this is from:
>
>"Writing is a way to end up thinking something you wouldn't have started
out thinking.  Writing is, in fact, a transaction with words whereby you
free yourself from what you presently think, feel and perceive" (Peter Elbow)

>Many thanks for any help.
>
>Jamie

>    its newsletter, and the annual conference, go to
>              http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/

M. Elizabeth (Betsy) Sargent
Writing Coordinator
English Department