George - I obtained the handicapped placards simply by having a doctor
complete the form.  I don't have to take any tests (driving or written).
However, Both my placards were stolen by unscrupulous beings, and I asked
for handicapped plates, which they gladly gave me.  I was coming out of
the grocery store ;when a very, very fat lady had her upper body in my
car window reaching for my placard.  Needless to say, My loud and
not-so-nice words, made her jump away from the car.  Later, though,
someone else managed to get it.  No problems since I got the plates.  Go
for it.  Jo Ann from Houston