Hey Larry,
My name is Pat Higgo and I'm a Registered Massage Therapist who does a lot
of lurking on PIENO.  I pulled out my text books from college, I think you
may be refering to Amyloidosis.  "There are 2 major forms of this disease in
which a waxy, starchlike glycoprotein (Amyloid) accumulates in tissues and
organs impairing their function."  I'm quoting this from a medical
dictionary so if none of it makes sense, please let me know and i'll do my
best to explain it to you.  "Primary Amyloidosis usually occurs with
multiple myeloma.  Patient with Secondary Amyloidosis usually suffer from
another chronic infectious or inflammatory disease, such as tuberculosis,
osteomyelitis, rheumatoid arthritis or Crohn's disease.  The cause of both
types of Amyloidosis is unknown.  Almost all organs are affected, most often
the heart, lungs, tongue and intestines in Primary Amyloidosis and the
kidneys, liver and spleen in the secondary type.  Elderly patients tend to
experience cardiac effects of the disease.  Diagnosis is made through biopsy
of the suspected organ.  There is no known cure for Amyloidosis, and
treatment in the secondary type is aimed at alleviating the underlying
chronic disease.  Patients with renal Amyloidosis are frequently candidates
for kidney dialysis and transplantation."  (Mosby's Medical, nursing &
Allied Health Dictionary; 1994)  As to the state of your brother's tendons,
the best advice I can give you is to find a massage therapist who is
experienced working with mobility issues.  I'm not going to tell you that
the doctor is wrong because I don't know that he is.  There are things that
a massage therapist can do to soften the ligaments and to help maintain what
range of motion your brother still has.  It's possible that your brother may
not walk again, I don't want to give you false hope.  I'm thinking that it
would wise to give it a try anyways, even if only to know that every
possible angle was explored.  I wish you the best of luck.  If there is
anything I can help you with, please let me know.
Peace
Pat